I am an Application Developer in Lotus Notes and Domino. For the most part, I love what I do. I love developing applications for the Lotus Notes client. Seriously, I do. And I know better developers than me have bitched plenty about 8.5, so I do feel a bit like I am beating a long-dead horse.
However, I am ready to throw my computer out the window.
My day-to-day work is done in Domino Designer 8.0.2. I have a laptop and a test workstation with 8.5 installed so I can get used to the new Domino Designer, but I have greatly resisted working in 8.5. Why? you may ask. Or maybe you’ve worked in 8.5 and you already know why. Many tell me I have only to wait and 8.5.1 will answer my prayers. Call me a pessimist, but I have my doubts.
I haven’t even worked in 8.5 long enough to have serious concerns, but it is the little things in life, right? The devil is in the details and all that.
1) WHY does it take four and half years for help to open?
2) Let’s back up…WHY does it take four and a half years for Domino Designer to open? (I know what you’ll tell me, but I don’t care if it’s a legitimate reason, it’s still ANNOYING)
3) Now this one is nitpicky I admit, but still it’s the little things, right? When I search for something in Help, I have to hit the freaking GO button, I can’t just type a phrase and hit ENTER on my keyboard. Like I used to be able to do.
4) Focus issues. I will be editing something in Designer, like a field property and get an email and focus is lost.
5) More focus issues. I minimize Designer while I wait four hours for it to open and use another application, when it’s done it pops back up into focus. Why? Other apps don’t do this. If I minimized the app, I want it
minimized, until *I* open it back up.
I apologize for being a bit curmudgeon-y and yes there is (supposedly) all this great new functionality in there that should make it all worth while. Still venting a bit helps. You can go ahead and tell me that I will drop to my knees in gratitude over 8.5.1. And pardon me, if I don’t believe you.