Although Mitch provided excellent instructions on an excellent tool provided by Matt White, I still had some issues moving my blog. It’s me, not you.
The first issue was that all of my tags became categories, and only the first tag was pulled over. Of course, I could have messed with the agent that Matt wrote, but instead I just cleaned up the posts after I moved them over. It was actually better that way (if time-consuming) since it enabled me to be more consistent with my tags and categories.
A small problem was the slider. It is supposed to show the title, a photo (if there is one) and an excerpt. I never used the excerpt on my old blog, so I thought that was why none was showing. (Hint: I was wrong).
The big problem arose, however, when I went to check the feed of my blog and it wouldn’t validate. I didn’t fully read the instructions on Mitch’s post (if I had I would have noticed that he mentioned an issue with excerpts) so I kept playing with the posts and eventually ended up exporting them, figuring all of my clean up would be exported, too. Wrong. For whatever reason, the export function on WordPress did not export tags and categories. On 235 posts.
No matter at that moment, because I still had the pesky validation issue to deal with. Mitch is an admin, so he had a little SQL command that he used to clean up his issue. I being a developer attacked it differently. I took the XML file from the export and replaced every instance of “<excerpt:encoded><![CDATA[<![CDATA]>]]></excerpt:encoded>” with “<excerpt:encoded><![CDATA]></excerpt:encoded>” and imported that file to WordPress. Magically, my excerpts in my slider worked and my feed validated.
However, I still had to re-categorize and re-tag 235 posts. Lesson of the story, I should have read Mitch’s post all the way through and when I had an issue with excerpts should have looked into that before fixing everything up.
So, if you use the “Mitch way” to migrate from Domino to WordPress, be sure and fix the excerpt issue, either his way or mine. And if you want to preserve all of your tags, you’ll have to modify Matt’s agent to get all of them and potentially to write them to tags, rather than categories. (Although there is a tool in WordPress that will make tags out of categories, if that’s what you want).
All in all, I am VERY happy with the switch and it went fairly smoothly. Even with my glitches, it was easier than I thought it would be.
Thank you again to everyone that helped me.